Is the fact that this is a Del Webb community important?

All topics related to Wheelock purchasing Anthem. This forum restricted to members of the AnthemForum AND people who have indicated they are home owners.

Moderator: Administrator

Forum rules
Please note. There is a similar forum for the Highlands side. You might also want to go there to see what those folks are talking about.

Will you be upset if Pulte pulls out and this is no longer considered a Del Webb community

Yes
52%
No
31%
Not Sure
17%

Total votes : 29

Is the fact that this is a Del Webb community important?

Postby Dave » Fri Jan 13, 2012 6:41 pm

Just wondering if people think that having Anthem Ranch as a Del Webb community is important.

Please express your thoughts and vote in the poll
Dave

I have no affiliation with any "Anthem Colorado, LLC", builder, developer, management company or HOA board.
AnthemForum.com has no affiliation with "Anthem Colorado, LLC", builder, developer, management company or HOA board.
Dave

Re: Is the fact that this is a Del Webb community important?

Postby Rnchief » Sat Jan 14, 2012 9:09 am

Roger is correct. We had looked at Del Webb in AZ, and walked away after looking at some of their older communities. They have a multitude of problems: Much older people who don't keep up their home; just old style homes, not reflective of today; and, possibly an indifferent HOA. ALl of the early Phoenix homes are "dumps."
8-)
Rnchief

Postby Dave » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:03 pm

Interesting comments. I guess it comes down to perception vs. reality :). Unfortunately, perception is usually more important than reality. :o

Pulte spins Del Webb as their premier building division. Most people think Del Webb as the Lexus when it comes to active adult communities.

I do know that when my wife and I were looking we also looked at the Lanar active adult community (about 10 miles east on hi-way 7) and Anthem was definitely nicer and also much more expensive.

I am not a huge Pulte fan but at least they are a known entity. My fear is that Wheelock may pick a builder who builds poor quality houses.

Another reason of concern is that if a new builder comes in and their homes are nicer and/or less expensive than our Pulte houses then our resale value will suffer.

On a good note, in the short term our resale values might actually go up because there will be no new homes to compete with. Of course, this only matters if one is wanting to sell.
Dave

I have no affiliation with any "Anthem Colorado, LLC", builder, developer, management company or HOA board.
AnthemForum.com has no affiliation with "Anthem Colorado, LLC", builder, developer, management company or HOA board.
Dave

Postby tomer26 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:50 pm

I'm sure it's true that Del Webb has communities around the country that are dated and have significant problems. My wife and I bought our house, which was then two years old, in Sept. of 09. We are the second owners. We love the house and the community. The people we bought from had the front porch torn out and re-installed by Pulte and we got Pulte to replace our window wells. (ok, I threatened legal action, but they did it). The "Del Webb" mark was not as important to us as the Pulte name. Pulte is the second largest homebuilder in the US and they've been around for awhile and probably will be around for awhile longer. That's important for warranty issues and for other reasons. If you look across the street at Vista Ridge, John Lang homes filed Bankruptcy in a Bankruptcy court on the east coast (Delaware maybe, not sure). That left several homeowners with structural/expansive soil issues without a good remedy. Everything we've heard about Wheelock so far indicates that they have very significant resources and will be around to deal with warranty issues , but there's something re-assuring about having a publicly traded company that's required to file periodic reports that are available publicly and must have audited financials open for inspection. It's also going to be important which entity offers the warranty on the newly built homes. If it's the new builder, their warranty is only as good as their ability to stay in business.

All in all, when we bought, I considered the fact that this was a Pulte/Del Webb community to be a big positive. However, we bought the house because we loved it, loved the view, and loved the adult community concept. Wheelock has significant money invested here, and they're in business to make a profit. To do that, they have to do what it takes to sell more houses. That should include keeping the existing homeowners happy and making sure the HOA is viable after all the lots are developed. So far, there's no reason to think they won't do a good job.
tomer26

Postby Dave » Sun Jan 15, 2012 3:18 pm

tomer26 wrote:... Everything we've heard about Wheelock so far indicates that they have very significant resources and will be around to deal with warranty issues , but there's something re-assuring about having a publicly traded company that's required to file periodic reports that are available publicly and must have audited financials open for inspection. It's also going to be important which entity offers the warranty on the newly built homes. If it's the new builder, their warranty is only as good as their ability to stay in business. ....

From what I heard Wheelock is strictly a land developer, not a builder. They buy land and put in the infrastructure (streets, sewer, etc.). They are NOT a home builder. They simply sell the improved land to the builder who then puts a house on it.

I don't see Wheelock ever getting involved with warranty issues. All warranties will be strictly between the home owner and the builder.

Dave
Dave

Dave

Return to Wheelock Purchasing Anthem